Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:34:16 +0100
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>
To:        Viet-Ha Pham <hapvbk@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wifi throughput test issue (FreeBSD 8.2)

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 13:37, Viet-Ha Pham <hapvbk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am doing some throughput measurement for Wifi network. I am using jperf=
/iperf to generate traffic (at the transmitter) and measure the throughput =
(at the receiver). The transmitter and receiver are running FreeBSD 8.2, us=
ing CM9-GP as the Wifi NIC. We are testing AWGN channel. So, the transmitte=
r and receiver are connected by cables, txpower on both sides is set lower =
than the max (ranging from 0 to 10), AWGN noise is injected in the middle o=
f the cable.

> We measure the maximum throughput at each transmission rate. Transmitter =
is a STA, receiver is an AP. We fix the unicast rate at the transmitter to =
54 Mbps (using "ifconfig ... ucastrate" command). The packet size is set to=
 400 Bytes, UDP protocol is used and the transmit bandwidth is set to 30 Mb=
ps in order to flood the transmission channel (to push it to its limit). At=
 first, at the receiver (AP) the measured throughput is about 12 Mbps. Then=
 I fix the unicast rate at the receiver (using ifconfig again) to 54 Mbps. =
The measured throughput increases to 20 Mbps. I set the unicast rate at the=
 receiver to autoselect again, the throughput is still 20 Mbps.

> When I switch the rate at the receiver, there are multiple message displa=
yed on the screen of the transmitter: "wlan0: ieee80211_new_state_locked: p=
ending RUN -> AUTH transition lost". This message is repeated for many time=
s (at least 20).

> I repeated the test with all transmission rates, change the packet size a=
nd still observe the same thing: a throughput improvement of about 30% is o=
bserved when I switch the unicast rate at the receiver and the improvement =
is still there when I switch the unicast rate back to autoselect. The same =
thing is observed in modes a and g. The same thing is observed if the unica=
st rate at the receiver is set different from the unicast rate at the trans=
mitter.

> I spent time to look at the kernel source codes but I did not find a soli=
d answer for this. Please help me to identify the problem and the answer.

> My question is:
>
> 1. Why do I have that throughput improvement when I switch the rate like =
that?
> 2. Is it a bug in the driver?

I think so, the driver might ignore/do some fancy stuff with a fixed ucastr=
ate.

@Adrian, do you know if ath_rate_sample has some debug options in that rega=
rd?

> 3. What does the error/infor message on the transmitter mean?

It might mean a lot of things, you should probably enable additional
debug options to get a clue about what's going on. Btw, do you also
see that behavior on HEAD (or at least the latest 9.x release/rc)?

--=20
Bernhard