Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:57:22 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Lee Johnston <ljohnston@cyberworld.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diskless Booting

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Lee Johnston wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting an old Digital VT1000 diskless terminal. Is it possiable to
> use the VT1000 as a FreeBSD disless node? If so how???
>
> Thanks

The VT1000 is some kind of a VAX (if I remember correctly, I only used
the VT1300, that is the color version). If you have something to boot the
VT1000 off of (i.e. the EWS kit and some machine that can serve it via
MOP, which is I think the only way the VT1000 can boot), then you can use
it as an X Terminal with anything you want. If you don't have the EWS
kit, you're a bit out of luck. If it has a SCSI controller (look inside
the box, I don't think it has an external connector any how), you may be
able to hook up a disk to it and maybe boot NetBSD or something on it
(probably with some hacking). Otherwise, the only way to boot it is MOP,
and I don't know a MOP implementation for FreeBSD (which is, of course,
no indication that there is none available).

> _________
> Lee Johnston
> ljohnston@cyberworld.demon.co.uk
> http://www.cyberworld.demon.co.uk