Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:35:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Adam Hefetz <adam_hefetz@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: adding disk space

On 27-Jul-00 Adam Hefetz wrote:
> Hi,
> I was trying to add disk space to /usr after deleting some windows
> partions and expanding the FreeBSD slice. When I type 'df' there is no
> difference in disk space. What's wrong?

Simply moving slice bounds won't get you a larger filesystem. You also have
to create a filesystem on the new space. If you have moved the slice
boundary already I suggest you try to move it back and get back to where
you were before deleting the windows partitions. You cannot extend a
filesystem, only create a new one.

1. If your newly created space is just beside your current /usr then backup
/usr and do a newfs etc on the new now larger slice, then restore the
backup into the new area.

2. (I would recommend this one). Create a new filesystem on the very slice
windows was just on. Be careful so that the slice boundary is EXACTLY as
before moving it around in the first place. Then when you have a working fs
mount it where you want. For example: If you run out if space in /usr/home
let the new fs be /usr/home.

3. You can also use vinum(8) to concatenate two slices/drives/whatever into
one big one. This entails some disklabelling and perhaps some experimenting
on your part but is straightforward when you know how to do it and works
very well.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail