Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 100 15:47:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-0-236.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        ishmael27@home.com (Jeremy Norris)
Cc:        roman@xpert.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote buffer overflow in gnomeicu 0.93

IMHO, yes.  I have a hard enough time trying to convince people at my
workplace that this is the way to go for the future.  When they see
crap like this, they laugh in my face.

I am a contractor working on various projects, some involving
government.  If holes aren't fixed as soon as they are known, it makes
my job harder convincing some people that BSD/Linux systems are safe.
Releasing optional packages/ports with holes that can allow such
exploits only serves to keep Gates in biz at such sites, recent news
about the holes being exposed in NT won't change anything because a
lot of those shops are NT-based already, in other words, Gates doesn't
have to get his foot in the door, we do.

In reply:
> Gnomeicu doesn't run with any privelege however, unless one is foolish enough
> to run it as root. At worse, a deviant person could crash it and gain access as
> an unprivleged user. Is thate enough to make a port FORBIDDEN?
>
> Jeremy
>
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 01:38:30AM +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Jeremy Norris wrote:
> >
> > > I would think this would be a problem with all icq clients, since icq opens up
> > > a tcp port by default. Gnomeicu at least, however, lets you pick what port.
> > >
> > > Jeremy
> > But, gnomeicu is the only one I've seen that crashes when sent too much
> > data on that port.
> > That's security breach.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or