Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 15:04:52 -0400
From:      Brian Minard <bminard@flatfoot.ca>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade / pkgdb question

On May 17, 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
 > It appears that ports or packages created back in the 4.1 days aren't
 > aware of "origin", so you have to 'correct' all of them. (very
 > tedious without some form of prompting when running pkgdb -F, IMHO..
 > especially when you have 200+ packages/ports installed)

Just a thought: Why not update the ports tree?

When I moved from the 4.0 CD to the 4.6 pre-release, I cvsup'ed the
ports tree and then executed the following.

# portsupgrade -cO > upgrade.sh
(edit upgrade.sh to remove the packages you really don't want upgraded)
# sh upgrade.sh
# portsdb -Uu
# pkgdb -F (with a much smaller number of out of date origins...)

In this case, all installed ports are upgraded to their current
versions.  This seems to have worked well. I avoided the interactive
ports and didn't meet with much success building KDE.

(Might want to look at pkgtools.conf before you try this.)

If you use portsclean (-CDD) things should get cleaned up afterwards.