Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:34:23 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw forwarding (more info)

> > After some more fiddling around, I have noticed that the ipfw rule is
> > hit, but nothing seems to happen... The data just continues on to the
> > local port instead of being forwarded to the remote one...
>
> Are you sure? Please try,
>
>   # tcpdump -i <iface> -en port 27015
>
> On each interface that would be involved.
>
> > Maybe I am missing something that needs to be loaded for this to work?
>
> No, forwarding is all in the kernel (or KLD module).
>
> But I suspect you really don't want to forward packets, but actually
> want to do NAT.

Yeah using the redirect_port option in natd works, but I dont understand
why it doesnt work with ipfw... I thought natd might be stopping, but even
having the fwd rule before the divert to natd rule doesnt change anything..
Dose ipfw fwd even work to remote machines?

It would be better to do this with ipfw, since you can add rules on the fly,
but with natd you need to kill it to change those settings... Would ipf be
better maybe?

Thanks for the info, I have it working, but not how I want it to :P
Kal.