Date:      09 Jul 2002 20:55:02 +0200
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beta FreeBSD search engine

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 19:46, Eric Anderson wrote:
> I've been thinking about that..  Here's my two options (so far):
>
> 1.  Have the indexer try to detect which page the language falls (mostly) into,
> and sort it that way.

If you would include the language in the index, you could give back all
languages for a given document, e.g.

Manual Vinum Bootstrapping
... sd name home.p.s drive YouCrazy plex home.p len hl driveoffset ho ...
http://www.sprawler.com/doc1/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vinum/manualboot.html - 12k - [HIGHLIGHTED]
  (de . en . fr . gr . etc)

... This way you would have a truly international search-engine that
allows people to pick their own language if the translation exists, or
choose another language if it doesn't.

The main link could go to the English version, since most of the
documentation exists in that language, I guess.

I'm just thinking out loud about the possibilities... rather than about
the time you have available. Great job so far! ;)

> 2.  Have separate indexes for separate langauges - which would mean it's simpler
> to implement, but not as seamless for use.

The problem with a drop-down box with the available languages or something
along those lines is that the documentation in other languages isn't
always complete. If people select some obsure language that has only a few
documents translated, it's likely their search won't turn up any results.
So to be sure they get all relevant information, they will only use
English. Or possibly complain about the lack of information, if they
don't.

> Any thoughts?

Many, though most are not relevant here. Good job...