Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 23:44:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      bahwi <bahwi@technologist.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2-RELEASE Installation problems

Please reply privately as I am not subscribed to this list, thanks.

I am installing FreeBSD on a friend's computer, we are having two
problems.

First of all, we can not install over ppp because ppp gives this error
"Phase: Unexpected protocol 0x00fd (1st choice compression)"
and nothing happens. The dns will go fine, and it will log into
ftp.freebsd.org, and then stop. No more traffic is sent. The service is
prodigy but the ip address is always splitrock.net. Anyone have any ideas?

Second, from the failed installation the boot manager was installed, and
when the machine boots up it has three options. F1 - DOS    F2 - FreeBSD
and F5 - Disk 0
To get to windows or freebsd(even though freebsd boot-up will fail since
there is nothing there) you must go through F5, anyone have any ideas or
ways to fix this?

Please reply privately as I am not subscribed to this list. Thanks.

--
bahwi@technologist.com