Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:33:48 -0800
From:      "Peter Wemm" <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing some cruft...

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:18 PM, M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> I was looking at the MIPS elf stuff based on a submission of some
> 64-bit support.  In doing so, I discovered a number of 'unused' types
> that appear to have comments that indicate that they can be removed
> now and were just slavishly copied from arch to arch to arch.
>
> /*
>  * The following non-standard values are used for passing information
>  * from John Polstra's testbed program to the dynamic linker.  These
>  * are expected to go away soon.
>  *
>  * Unfortunately, these overlap the Linux non-standard values, so they
>  * must not be used in the same context.
>  */
> #define AT_BRK          10      /* Starting point for sbrk and brk. */
> #define AT_DEBUG        11      /* Debugging level. */
>
> These have be slavishly copied to arm, powerpc, sparc64, ia64, mips,
> sun4v and amd64.  All these files have nearly identical comments
> (except powerpc, which changes the value).
[..]
> So I'd like to remove all this stuff unless there's a compelling
> reason to keep it.
>
> Can anybody think of a reason to keep it?  It seems completely
> non-functional...

Remove it completely.  It probably should never have been committed to
the tree in the first place.  In either case, it has been OBE for a
good ~10 years.

--
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete