Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 1995 19:14:18 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Speed increase at CTM src-cur 304?

>There seems to have been a slight speed increase on my home machine (25MHz
>386sx/387sx, 8Mb mem, bt542b & Wren 6) with the latest bunch of CTM patches
>that arrived by email. I know that Xfree86-3.1.1 also had a couple of
>speedups, but these seem OS related. There seems to be less paging happening
>with some of the normal things that I do. Am I imagining things after a
>particularly foul weekend (where everything seems better at work) or will the
>culprit put his/her hand up?

   I have no idea what is in "CTM 304". Generally, people should assume that
the CTM patch system that was set up by Poul-Henning at TFS is completely
seperate from the FreeBSD development effort.
   We have been making ongoing improvements to the VM system and other areas
of the kernel that will improve its overall performance - some of the recent
ones have been quite significant. Credit for these improvements goes mostly to
John Dyson, a small amount to me, and to Soren Schmidt who has additionally
improved syscons performance by a factor of 5 in most cases.

-DG