Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 16:31:41 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Link Rot Detector and Page Updater

[ The FreeBSD angle on this question is: does such a tool already exist in
the ports collection, in the known universe -- or is it a scripting project? ]

What I'm thinking about is a link checker that not only detects bad links, it
has the additional capability of upating a web page that has questionable
links.

For example, it might write a comment containing the number of times a check
has failed consecutively adjacent to a questionable URL. If that number
exceeds a certain value, it would move the original URL into the comment and
replace it with a link to a local page that offers some help to the user: the
date the link went AWOL, links to search engines, google's cached copy,
contact info, etc. The next time the checker runs, if it finds the original
link active, it could reverse the process.

The idea here is that you'd provide the user with a consistent and helpful
interface for dead links, instead of just a "can't connect" or 404 error from
the original site.

Before I embarass myself before a wider audience, are there any drop-dead
obvious flaws in this idea (assuming it has not already been implemented)?

M.

--
Michael O'Henly