Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:24:15 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world from across the globe

In message <3B5DDE7B.827D5303@iowna.com>, Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
writes
>Kevin Golding wrote:
<snip>
  single user mode for install world
</snip>
>> Now to my knowledge this makes remote logins a problem.
>
>The way to do this is to have a second machine connected to the first
>via serial connection. You can then login to the second machine via
>ssh and reboot the first as if you're sitting right at it. If you plan
>on doing this sort of remote admin very often, I would suggest you take
>the time to set something like this up.

Forgive my ignorance but why can I use ssh over serial but not Ethernet
in single user mode?  Does single user affect drivers too or is this
something else?

>> I've also read <URL: http://www.nothing-going-
>> on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html > which looks like I
>> might be able to avoid dropping to single user if I'm *very* careful,
>> prepared and desperate.
>
>I've done it. It's not a good idea and there are no guarantees. Even if
>you take this route, it's still a good idea to have someone on call at
>the facility. At some point you have to reboot, and what happens if the
>new kernel doesn't boot?

I know I've got someone there who can give the machine a kick should it
be needed, it's more a case of seeing if/what I can do it from here
rather than trying to arrange the whole upgrade over a phone.

Okay, now this is where I get to embarrass myself with a stupid
question, what about stringing some commands together?  Would something
like
 # shutdown -r 0107251200
 # shutdown now; make installworld
actually work or is it more likely to destroy the whole system beyond
any hope?

>Hope this helps,

Thanks to all
Kevin