Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:52:40 -0800
From:      "Tim E Schafer" <tim_schafer@agship.com>
To:        "'Jean-Baptiste Quenot'" <jb.quenot@caraldi.com>, <ubik@telecomsm.multiarea.ro>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: how to make tomcat to work with apache ?

This page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/connectors.html

from the tomcat documentation talks about a
mod_jk2
that does work with the 4.x series of tomcat
and is enabled by default in tomcat 4.1

This page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/index.html
Also has useful info on mod_jk2

I have wanted to integrate tomcat and apache for some time.
I'm still evaluating the tradeoffs.
It seems mod_webapp would be easier to setup but wouldn't perform as
well
due to not supporting an in-process configuration
mod_jk2 seems it would perform better if setup in-process
mod_jk2 also supports load balancing.

The questions that remain in my mind are:

An in-process setup means restarting one requires restarting both right?
So does the mod_webapp setup allow tomcat to be restarted without
restarting apache?

Would mod_jk2 actually be faster than mod_webapp?

mod_jk2 would only work with a native JVM but mod_webapp would work with
the Linux JVM?

Is there a FreeBSD port for mod_jk2 yet?
In www there are ports for tomcat 3.3.1 , 4.0.6 and 4.1.12
There's a port for mod_jk that's labeled as version 3.3.1 which I
presume
is because it's based on the one that comes with tomcat 3.3.1

tomcat connectors here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/
seem to have their own version numbers

where as in each of:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.6/src/
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.1.12/src/
There are connectors versioned the same as tomcat

Also the mod_webapp-apache2 port only supports apache2
The pages I referenced earlier say mod_jk2 was made with apache 2.0 in
mind
But that it may work with apache 1.3 also

Ultimately what I'd like to do is run apache with mod_perl and tomcat
If it means using apache 2.0 I'm willing to put the mod_perl part aside
for now as mod_perl2 isn't released yet
But I do want the apache/tomcat integration to perform well

I hope my post will lead to a discussion that will resolve the confusion
around the myriad options for integrating apache/tomcat

Regards,
Tim Schafer
Programmer

Freight Solution Providers
dba Associated Global Systems            916-376-6190
3231 Evergreen Ave                  fax  916-376-6156
West Sacramento, CA 95691    tim_schafer@fspworld.com