Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:55:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        ReachMe@Syne-Post.com (Phil)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A boot up problem.

Phil wrote,

> And so they restart the machine (Fortunately they also run FreeBSD) and it won't
> automatically CLEAN the disks and it just stops.
> The sysadmin there manually cleans the disk and then it continues.
>
> Here's a message form him as he is probably more clear than I;
>
> Doubly so because your unix
> system also seems to not want to automatically check the filesystems after
> an improper shutdown, which keeps it from finishing booting until
> it gets some manual intervention.  I'm really curious as to why that is,
> and I'd actually like to look into it sometime.
>
> Well that actually doesn't look very technical to me does it.
>
> Anyhow. What can I do to find out why it doesn't want to automatically check the
> file system and clean it??

One of the first things in  /etc/rc is,

if [ $1x = autobootx ]; then
        echo Automatic reboot in progress...
        fsck -p
        case $? in
        0)
                ;;
        2)
                exit 1
                ;;
        4)
                reboot
                echo "reboot failed... help!"
                exit 1
                ;;
        8)
                echo "Automatic file system check failed... help!"
                exit 1
                ;;
        12)
                echo "Reboot interrupted"
                exit 1
                ;;
        130)
                # interrupt before catcher installed
                exit 1
                ;;
        *)
                echo "Unknown error in reboot"
                exit 1
                ;;
        esac
else
        echo Skipping disk checks ...
fi

Find out whcih message is being produced.