Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 16:53:35 -0400
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eric@cfpower.com>
To:        <brian@pobox.com>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Marketing / Media Strategy

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian McGroarty <bvmcg@yahoo.com>
To: <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 1999 11:42 PM
Subject: Marketing / Media Strategy

> Just as jumping into code production without design is the
> formula for chaos and later back-tracking, lack of strategy in
> media dealings yields very little reward for tremendous amounts
> of effort expended.
>
> 1: We need to decide who we are trying to reach with what
> message. PLEASE give me feedback on the following;
>
> I'll initially propose:
>
> Technical:
> FreeBSD is stable
> FreeBSD is secure
> Learning FreeBSD means big $$$

A few things that may fall in this area... Drawing Ecommerce, and MiddleWare
Environments to FreeBSD. This means getting close with Big Corporations
(technical, and executive types).  I am nudging for some work that might get
me around Boston for a couple of weeks.. I have a few CEO/techies in mind to
pay visits (crossing fingers).. You need to make friends before you sell..
Techs, talk code.. Execs, talk unatended Reliability, Cut Costs, increased
productivity, and whatever saves/makes money, or covers what they enjoy in
there spare time (tidbits).

Another question here, is who can do what.. I don't have any problem, if I
am somewhere, trying to walk in (suit/Tie), and shake a hand, and take 5
minutes of someones time, and then hand them a CD on the way out (unless
they want me to stay longer =)

All I want out of the deal, is to phaze NT Server/Linux out of clients
systems, and replace it with FreeBSD, so I can be more effective with my
time, and less split accross platforms..  While I think at the moment, NT is
still the likely platform in these clients systems, the critical stuff isn't
good on NT.. Servers, though a large need in that area is eCommerce, Web
Middleware that makes fast paced Web Application development possible, and
Strong Client Backends. These are where I make my money.. Automation is
another issue, though that's just another reason FreeBSD (or any *nix) is my
primary choice.

My linux experiences have found that to be very disorganized in layout, and
too easy to leave w/defaults that make it downright insecure. While I'd love
to get a paid trip out to install, it's not often in my budgets.. I need to
be able to have a central distribution, and a special floppy sent to the
client, that gets there server setup to order.. FreeBSD is the number one
platform for this. =) The team has done well to enable this, and continues
to improve it.

> Education:
> FreeBSD represents the forefront in free OS development
> FreeBSD is the next big thing

    It's also well layed out in a developers needs way. I've built scratch
up build/designs in a week, just being able to find the library docs,
source, and config files, and scripting support. In a similiar situation
with RedHat 6, the attempt failed miserably.

> Business:
> FreeBSD has the lowest TCO
> FreeBSD represents countless new opportunities
>
> Mainstream Press:
> Flavor: What Torvalds has been doing for 5 years, this team has
> been doing for 20.
> Definition: FreeBSD is not Linux.
> Hype: FreeBSD 4.0 is coming - Kiss your Windows goodbye

How come linus isn't ever around #linux? I catch jkh and some others from
the lists on #FreeBSD fairly frequent, and while jkh needs a slight memory
upgrade, he is very informed, and has answers off the cuff that aren't
necessarily in the handbook/FAQ.

> Retail:
> FreeBSD 4.0 is going to explode in a shower of confetti whenever
> a customer glances its way. People are going to flock to you for
> copies for FreeBSD 4.0

Retail version modifiable, and redistributable with minimal requirements..
So is downloaded version =) OR any other version..... You can distribute it
with confidence..

> All:
> FreeBSD is different. (See previous post)

Layed out well, and consistant.

> 2: We need a smooth, efficient system for press release delivery
> and a quick way of deciding who should receive what. Is there an
> existing contact database? I'm willing to begin work on this,
> but I need to know if I'm extending something we've got or
> starting something new.

I'll pull the thoughts of an experienced press releaser I know
(conventional, and net based).

> 3: We need advance planning from here straight through 4.0's
> release. The release of a new major version number is a valuable
> marketing asset. We need to be sure we don't get the hype
> machine started too soon and lose momentum before release. If we
> can have a steady flow two months prior to release, one in
> general media, and if we can have media swamped by the time 4.0
> has been available a month, we can all be VERY proud. How can we
> make a press timeline available to -advocacy members without
> putting something sensitive on the main site?

Upcoming list! IE, Future file along with ERRATA. This might help tune users
ahead of time too..

> 4: We need a press site. The existing list of press releases and
> pointers to mentions in the press is nice. But we need clip art,
> including a large logo, pictures of the Daemon, key developers
> and screenshots. We need capsule summaries of FreeBSD and its
> best assets. And we need a series of brief outlines which hint
> at story ideas. You'd be surprised how few journalists' ideas
> are actually their own. They have deadlines like the rest of us,
> and feeding and nurturing ideas helps immeasurably. Respond with
> pointers to what we've already got and I'll refine the list,
> start the above outlines and we'll have a suitable starter
> collection.

Good man.. Good list... What can I do to help, and where do we start?

Eric A. Griff <eric@setjmp.com>, http://www.setjmp.com
setjmp Software                   Your source for custom
181 Genesee Street            Software Solutions.
Suite 504
Utica, NY 13501
ICQ# 28146852
Office: (315) 734-1668 Extension 205