Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:18:34 +0200
From:      "Marcel de Vries" <mdevries@haveityourway.nl>
To:        "Marcel de Vries" <mdevries@haveityourway.nl>, "freebsd" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   irritating beep

Dear people,

=20

I got a problem with a server, FreeBSD <hostname> 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD
4.6-STABLE #0: Mon Aug  5 14:00:59 CEST 2002
<n/a>:/usr/src/sys/compile/APPLESHARE  i386 running on a PU: Pentium
III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (933.08-MHz 686-class CPU).

 As a cronjob data is scanned for viruses 02:30 AM every night. This was
no problem for a year now.

This job will execute /usr/local/uvscan/uvscan --summary -r /data/  |
mail blblabla

Virus Scan for BSD v4.10.0

Copyright (c) 1992-2000 Networks Associates Technology Inc. All rights
reserved.

(408) 988-3832  LICENSED COPY - Nov  7 2000
Scan engine v4.1.00 for BSD.

Virus data file v4270 created Jun 05 2003

Scanning for 73906 viruses, trojans and variants.

=20

When this process is running for about 15 min's the pc speaker (Beeper)
is beginning to beep loudly!!

Looking with top the uvscan process is running wild like 85% proctime.
But the system stays stable at all times.

Uvscan has to scan about 34 GB of data, it takes about 40 minutes to
complete. The last weeks the weather in the Netherlands is really warm
about 24 to 29 degrees. Since then the pc beep came up when the scanning
task was executed.=20

Unfortunate there is no ability for me to physically inspect the server,
I only have shell access but I do not know what to monitor.

LMMON is not working so I cannot monitor temp sensors on the board.

Could not find anything in the logfiles, console.log, messages that
points to anything.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Kind Regards,

Marcel de Vries

P.S. why can't I send mail with outlook 2000 to questions@freebsd.org as
a new, used reply all to send this one. If I don't do this I get a
bounce 'message content rejected' strange.