Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 16:53:31 +0200
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH2 (in FreeBSD-Questions)

Hi,

> Yeah, I've heard of it, but didn't get too much farther than looking
> at it.  It looks interesting, and very well-planned, but I guess
> I fail to see the advantage of it over symlinks, especially because
> there is a lot of groundwork to cover.  Is there something inherently
> bad about symlinks? :-)  I mean, with the symlink structure, adding
> packges is very clean, and removing packages is as easy as rm -rf
> /opt/package, and rescanning the symlinks (better yet -- a script
> could be easily written up to look for orphaned symlinks, entirely
> in an automatic fashion.)

The problem with this approach is the fact, that this is a single user
oriented concept. Let's assume that two users on your machine are wanting
to use gtk-1.0.x and gtk-1.2 simultaniosly. Only one of them could create
these symlinks. With modules a user could even use both (in different XTerm
windows) without any problems.

Cleanup's are also easier: i just need to delete the /opt/package directory
and the modulefile (plus additional datafiles).

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.