Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:41:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sprint PCS Sierra Wireless

further facts from sierra's page

1. i was wrong. this isnt getting EOL'd. maybe it was prior to this deal.
maybe i stepped over from a parallel universe sometime in the last couple
of days. whatever.

2. it's 16 bit and it doesnt have the gold contact-y things on the top so
i assume that it's pcmcia ( dont hit me mike! :-) )

3. sierra supports all flavors of windoze. not sure why sprint is limiting
it to win9X, but i suspect there reasoning is irrelevant to us.

3.5 the faq sez that 'watcher' is just a configuration and monitoring
program. so my softDSP (winmodem) concerns may be a non-issue. esp when
you consider sprints' track record for comm software; they sell a
'wireless web' package for their phones that contains the cable and an
'install program and software' for win9x. for 95 bux, ok now it's 60 or
so, but wtf! it's just adding a line in your registry that renames your
serial port to 'Glorious Workers Paradise of Sprint Wireless Web(tm)' more
or less.

executive summary: this should be doable under freebsd.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Ben Hockenhull wrote:

> Sprint PCS is giving away free (I'm sure there's a catch) wireless modems
> at http://sprintpcs.i33.com/b2bwwmodem/signup.asp.
>
> I got mine in the mail just now.  It's a CDMA modem of some kind, made by
> Sierra Wireless, alleged to run at 14.4 kbps.  Naturally, I'm interested
> in getting it running under FreeBSD.
>
> I added it to pccard.conf as a modem, following the lead of the Novatel
> Merlin entry and pccardd coredumps when the card is inserted under
> 4.4-STABLE.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them, but this
> message is mostly informational.
>
> Here's the output of a dumpcis:
>
> Configuration data for card in slot 0
> Tuple #1, code = 0x1 (Common memory descriptor), length = 2
>     000:  00 ff
> 	Common memory device information:
> 		Device number 1, type No device, WPS = OFF
> 		Speed = No speed, Memory block size = reserved, 32 units
> Tuple #2, code = 0x6 (Long link to next chain for MFC), length = 11
>     000:  02 00 3e 00 00 00 00 aa 00 00 00
> 	Function 0: attribute memory, address 0x3e
> 	Function 1: attribute memory, address 0xaa
> Tuple #3, code = 0x15 (Version 1 info), length = 31
>     000:  01 01 53 69 65 72 72 61 20 57 69 72 65 6c 65 73
>     010:  73 00 41 43 35 31 30 20 4d 6f 64 65 6d 00 ff
> 	Version = 1.1, Manuf = [Sierra Wireless], card vers = [AC510 Modem]
> Tuple #4, code = 0x20 (Manufacturer ID), length = 4
>     000:  92 01 00 03
> 	PCMCIA ID = 0x192, OEM ID = 0x300
> Tuple #5, code = 0x17 (Attribute memory descriptor), length = 3
>     000:  41 00 ff
> 	Attribute memory device information:
> 		Device number 1, type EEPROM, WPS = OFF
> 		Speed = 250nS, Memory block size = 512b, 1 units
> Tuple #6, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0
> 1 slots found
>
> Ben

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life