Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:59:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   FAQ about bootup and shutdown

Hello list, lurking over :) I have three questions about bootup/shutdown.

Okay, over time I have gained the following wisdom about FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE's booting procedures and important files:

man rc
/etc/rc.conf
/etc/defaults/rc.conf
/boot/loader.conf
/boot/defaults/loader.conf
(Early on, it seems I edited both the local *and* the defaults files.  Question 1 is "Could someone give me a URL to replacement defaults files?)

man boot
man shutdown
/kernel
man kldstat
(Odd, I can't `kldload /usr/local/bin/tcsh` so it'll run faster...)

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/*
(I only, very recently, fortunately... stumbled on the rc.d directory!  It seems that some pkg_add'ed programs put sh script files in there in a manner similar to M$FT Winbloze apps' putting a shortcut in the StartMenu>Programs>Startup folder, so my Question 2 is "Is anything in the rc.d directory required by the OS by default?)

And finally, my Question 3 is "I found /etc/rc.shutdown but wonder why shutting down isn't something that is compiled into the kernel or shell as a builtin, and further wonder why `shutdown -p now` does not power down my system via /dev/apm (device not configured); Can anyone help on this?"

Coulleness,

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder