Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:55:02 -0400
From:      JT <luser@ahab.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   execute (!) doesn't work in vim-5.8.8

I recently upgraded vim and now I wish I hadn't... Execution with ! no longer
works.  For example, ":! ls -l" returns nothing, and ":r! ls -l" returns
something like
	Can't read file /tmp/v687519/0

Any ideas before I spend half the day reading code?

It looks like the older Vim used a single file for handling output of these
commands, while the newer Vim creates a directory in /tmp and expects to find
a file in there called 0.  So i tried creating a file called 0, and it then
complains about 1.  So I create 2, since the thing seems to be advancing, and
I get no output, although the file named 2 has disappeared.  Obviously,
there's a problem both with creating the file and reading the output, though
not with cleaning it up!

I took a look at vim --version and didn't notice anything interesting, but I
could provide it if needed....

Please cc me in reply; not subscribed to -ports.