Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 20:54:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Ivan Fetch <ivanfetch@technologist.com>
Cc:        Jackson Donadel <fatboy@linuxbr.com.br>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iso from linuxberg.com

Ivan Fetch wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> Hi,
>    Although I have not tried installing packages from
> /stand/sysinstall, what about the packages in /cdrom/packages/* (which are
> on the CD)?  AM I mis-understanding you Ryan?
>
> Thanks - Ivan.

Hi Ivan,

/cdrom/packages/* certainly won't contain ALL the FreeBSD packages (they
occupy somewhat more space than one CD can hold)... But packages in that
directory (with extension .tgz) can be added manually with pkg_add(1).

Using the syntax ...

  pkg_add /cdrom/packages/some_package.tgz

... should install any package that is there.

However, as long as there is a package INDEX in that CDROM directory
(there should be!), you can select "File System" as your installation
media, and specify a path of /cdrom/ (NOT /cdrom/packages/).  There will
be a few important packages there.  For a more complete (and recent!)
list, you should probably still use FTP as your media type and grab
packages from ftp.freebsd.org (or your nearest mirror), as I mentioned in
my previous messsage.

Virtually yours,
- Ryan Thompson

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2