Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:47:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
Cc:        James Snow <sno@teardrop.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird /home problem resolved

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, CyberPeasant wrote:

> James Snow wrote:
> >
> > Well, I fixed the problem.
> >
> > Two of the people with whom I conversed about this problem could not
> > replicate it on 2.2.6-RELEASE, while I was getting it on 2.2.7-STABLE and
> > 3.0-SNAP.
> >
> > So, I replaced our /usr/bin/login with /usr/bin/login from 2.2.6 and
> > voila, no more login problem.
> >
> > I can only assume then that there was a change made to this program or to
> > one of the library functions that it calls between 2.2.6-RELEASE and one
> > of the more recent releases.
> >
> > I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else can confirm this behaviour and
> > fix it in a similar fashion.
> >

> Big HMMM.  do you have the 2.2.7 source for login handy? Email it
> to me and I'll stare at it.

Oof, this may be a bug.  Here's the log entry for the one change between
2.2.6 and 2.2.7 for login.c:

1.12.2.10 Thu Apr 30 16:52:31 1998 UTC by peter
CVS Tags: RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE; Branch: RELENG_2_2
Diffs to 1.12.2.9 ; Diffs to 1.34

MFC: euid flip while accessing home directory early to get to .login_cap
and to be able to chdir() on NFS served homes without root read access.