Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:30:59 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "Glenn Johnson" <glennpj@charter.net>, "Nils Holland" <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have a problem with some AMD processors?

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 22:47:58 +0100, Nils Holland wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 02:46:12PM -0600, Glenn Johnson stood up and spoke:
>> As far as I can tell though if I set the memory clock to
>> 100MHz the problem goes away completely, or at least I have not observed
>> it happen yet.
>
>So it's PC133 RAM but only works properly at 100 Mhz? Well, I guess I have
>seen the same problem: I once had a system with a front side bus of 100
>Mhz, and I could set the RAM clock to either "host clock" or "host click +
>33 Mhz". Now, I choose the second method, because according to my
>calculation, a host clock of 100 Mhz plus an additional 33 Mhz are 133 Mhz,
>and thus just what my PC133 RAM wants. However, the system would run less
>than reliable with this setting, so I later set the RAM clock to "host
>clock", so 100 Mhz. I no longer own that system - I had these problems back
>in June...
>
>Anyway, for most memory problems, I have found the tool "memtest86"
>(http://www.memtest86.com) to be a good test. While, as far as I have
>heard, this utility does not detect *all* possible errors, it has often
>been able to give me good insight of the stability of my RAM and overall
>system.

I know back in the days when PC100 was new and the prices came down a
little bit, but still really expensive, a few manufactures pirated a
lot of PC66 and made some changes to have it work like PC100.  but it
wasn't stable.  maybe people are doing that with pc133.. it wouldnt
surprise me.

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB