Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 10:52:51 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        Attila Raffai <attila.raffai@intermec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: out of file descriptors?

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 02:38:40PM +0000, Attila Raffai wrote:
> I cvsupd RELENG_3 to upgrade my  system running
> 3.0-RELEASE .
> Make world compiled without errors but when I tried
> to build a new kernel I got undefined references in syscons.o
> so I cvsuped RELENG_3 again and made the world  once
> more (this time I also managed to mess up my source tree,
> when comparing /etc with /usr/src/etc, I think).
> When compiling the kernel I got the same undefined references
>  in syscons.o as the first time.

Read /usr/src/UPDATING, paying particular attention to the part that refers you
to http://www.freebsd.org/~yokota/sc_update.txt. The best thing to do would be
to create a new kernel config file from scratch based on GENERIC and LINT.

> Frustrated as I was  I shut down the computer  for that  day.
>  Now, when I boot the machine it  probes
> the hardware and then says ":. out of file descriptors"

You have /etc/rc.conf sourcing itself. Look at the bottom of the file and find
where it's sourcing itself, and change it.

Chris