Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:33:30 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Matt Penna" <mdp1261@ritvax.rit.edu>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

Matt writes:

> Letting someone know there's something wrong is
> just the first step ...

The first step is determining whether or not something is wrong.  With no
information at all concerning this error message, I don't know if the
behavior I see is wrong or not.  While it seems wildly improbable that the
entire system must be destabilized due to just one error on one device,
perhaps there is something I don't know.  Unfortunately, with no
documentation, there isn't any way to find out.  I don't like to submit bug
reports without being reasonably certain that what I'm reporting is actually
a bug, and not expected and normal behavior.

> ... you are basically saying that you show no
> interest in sending a PR in any event ...

I don't send PRs at the drop of a hat.  I used to receive reports like that
when I was a developer, and it was very time-consuming to receive reports on
"bugs" that turned out not to be bugs at all, but just user ignorance or
inappropriate user action.

> ... or in making any effort to fix a given problem ...

I can't make any effort to fix a problem without documentation.

> ... and therefore expect someone else to spoon=
> feed you the information you need.

There isn't any other source of information.

> If this is not actually the way you feel, I
> apologize, but please understand that this is
> the impression that I get from your messages.

No need to apologize; I'm aware that the standard reasoning of the angry
young male invariably runs along these lines.

> Sending PR's brings any issue you have to the
> direct attention of the people most qualified
> to handle it ...

It may also waste their time, if it is not actually a bug.

> A problem in the code may only crop up on your
> specific hardware setup ...

I found zillions of questions about it on the Web, but no answers, so I'm
not alone.

> In running FreeBSD or any other free OS, it is
> not required that you give anything back, but
> responding with indignance when someone suggests
> that you do so is not a good way to make friends
> or earn people's respect.

Taking every comment on an OS as a personal challenge isn't a good way to
promote use of that OS, either.  I'm not trying to make friends or get
respect; I'm just trying to get the OS to function reliably.  It would be
nice if I didn't have to fight my way past a crowd of angry young males to
get to the root of problems each time they arise.  They remind me a bit of
stray dogs: every time you look at them, they interpret it as a challenge,
instead of just noting that they are being looked at.

> If you find a workaround or a solution for your
> problem, but refuse to send a PR explaining how
> to reproduce and resolve the error even though
> you are able to do so, you are tacitly refusing
> to help anyone who has the same problem later on.

Right now, I'm a long way from a workaround or solution.