Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 16:44:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: ATAPI CDROM dedection problem

Hi,

Just for the record, I have a box with a single CD-ROM drive
as master on the second IDE channel (no HDs or any other IDE
devices), and it's detected fine.  (Technical data:  ASUS TP4N
mainboard, P5-100 running at 75 MHz, old Aztec double-speed
CD-ROM drive, worked since 3.0-current, now 4.0-current, still
working fine.)

By the way, those combinations that involve a slave without a
master on the same channel are _not_ supposed to work.  They're
in violation of the spec:

 > IDE1, Master        IDE2, Slave                failed
 > IDE1, Slave           IDE2, Master             failed
 > IDE1, Slave           IDE2, Slave                failed
 > IDE2, Master        IDE1, Slave                failed
 > IDE2, Slave           IDE1, Master             failed
 > IDE2, Slave           IDE1, Slave                failed

So it is not a bug that FreeBSD fails to detect the drives
under those circumstances.

In the other cases where it failed, I guess that the CD-ROM
drive is misbehaving in some way (which is not surprising,
given the crappy specification...).

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  Buy SCSI.  :)

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)