Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 06:52:25 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        wschlanger@usa.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA limmitation of 16MB for DMA [wschlanger@usa.net: ]

FreeBSD uses the time-honoured technique of "bounce buffering" - it
maintains a pool of buffers in ISA-addressable space, and allocates them
as required to back pending ISA busmaster transactions.

This is handled transparently by the bus-space DMA code, which adds
several levels of indirection to the issue.  You may find the older
kernels (2.2.x) technique which involved explicit cooperation by the
driver easier to understand.