Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:06:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Heckaman <matt@LUCIDA.CA>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   weirdness with DNS

Hi all,

I started seeing this a long time ago, but since it doesn't break anything
(well, not really) I never got around to writing this email about it. I
have a machine running 4.3-STABLE as of April 21 2001. When I do a DNS
lookup on a host that does not exist, it postfixes my domain onto the
lookup instead of saying Unknown host... At first, I thought there was a
wildcard DNS entry for lucida.ca, but there isn't. This does not occur
from any other machines on the LAN, all of which use the same nameservers.

Example:

matt[epsilon]:~% nslookup asdf.lucida.ca
Server:  epsilon.lucida.ca
Address:  209.47.215.67

Name:    asdf.lucida.ca.lucida.ca

matt[epsilon]:~% nslookup asfdsaf.com
Server:  epsilon.lucida.ca
Address:  209.47.215.67

Name:    asfdsaf.com.lucida.ca

matt[epsilon]:~% host thisdoesnotexist.com
thisdoesnotexist.com.lucida.ca mail is handled (pri=20) by mail.uunet.ca

oddly enough, if I directly specify worldcom's NS, it behaves right, so I
thought it might be MY local NS that was screwy, but the other machins on
the network that query against it behave fine! This is running BIND
8.2.3-REL, nothing in my configuration has changed in a long time. I do
not host the lucida.ca DNS, that's handled by Worldcom.

My /etc/resolve.conf looks like:

domain lucida.ca

# epsilon.lucida.ca
nameserver 209.47.215.67
# cache01.ns.wcom.ca
nameserver 142.77.2.4
# cache02.ns.wcom.ca
nameserver 142.77.2.36

I'm very lost here, has anyone else seen this before? :)

TIA,
Matt

* Matt Heckaman   - mailto:matt@LUCIDA.CA     http://www.lucida.ca/gpg *
* GPG fingerprint - 53CA 8320 C8F6 32ED 9DDF  036E 3171 C093 4AD3 1364 *

  The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements:
  energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.
	-- G'Kar, "Survivors"