Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 2003 00:30:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Joseph I. Davida" <jd@adsl-63-198-56-213.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org, stolz@i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   HP OfficeJet Linux driver

Greetings,
I installed hpoj from /usr/ports/graphics on FreeBSD 4.8-07272003-STABLE.
There are 2 problems with the BSD port:
1. The compile fails because pthread...etc symbols are undifeined.
   So I edited /usr/ports/graphics/hpoj/work/hpoj-0.90/apps/xojpanel/Makefile
   and prepended the LDFLAGS with
   -lcipher -lc_r
   and the linker succeeded.

2. Running the script
   /usr/local/sbin/ptal-init setup

   outputs the message:

Stopping the HP OfficeJet Linux driver.

This program manages devices controlled by the HP OfficeJet Linux
driver (hpoj).  It attempts to probe your computer for local parallel-
and USB-connected devices, and allows you to specify network addresses
for remote JetDirect-connected devices.

If you experience any difficulties in detecting your device(s), then
refer to the hpoj documentation for troubleshooting information.

Currently defined device names ([*]=default):
    (none)

Probe for parallel-connected devices ([y]/n)?  n

hpoj not compiled for USB support; skipping USB device probe.

Press <Enter> alone to continue, or if you would like to add a
JetDirect-connected device, then enter its dotted-decimal
IP address or hostname here --->

Well.... I have HP Officejet 5110xi on usb0.
FreeBSD detects it as
ugen0: Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet 5110xi, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2

So, how do I make hpoj to be compiled with USB support on FreeBSD?
I tried running configure manually with
./configure  --with-usb

and recompiled and reinstalled.
Still I got...
hpoj not compiled for USB support; skipping USB device probe.

So, I manualy edited the configure script and forced
USB_PLATFORM=FREEBSD
to be defined
and recompiled and resinstalled.
This time, the script only probled for ulpt devices.
Well, as I showed earlier, FreeBSD detects my device as
ugen0.
So I looked at the /usr/local/sbin/ptal-init script
to see how I can get it to look at ugen0:

my @usbWildcards=(
        "/dev/usb/lp[0-9]*",
        "/dev/usblp[0-9]*",
        "/dev/ulpt[0-9]*"
        );

so I modifed this as follows:

my @usbWildcards=(
        "/dev/usb/lp[0-9]*",
	"/dev/usblp[0-9]*",
	"/dev/ulpt[0-9]*",
	"/dev/ugen[0-9]*"
	);

and re-ran the script. Still only ulpt devices were probed.
So I modified the script and removed ulpt[0-9] line
and left the ugen[0-9]* and reran the script:

Probing "/dev/ugen0"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.1"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.10"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.11"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.12"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.13"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.14"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.15"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.2"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.3"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.4"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.5"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.6"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.7"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.8"...
    No device found.

Probing "/dev/ugen0.9"...
    No device found.

As I said earlier, FreBSD detects this printer as
ugen0: Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet 5110xi, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2

So, hpoj was unable to proble for it.

Regards,

Joe