Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:54:16 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Robert Huff <rhuff@cybercom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: retrieving email

> 	Welcome to the club.  While I run fetchmail from somewhere
> else, I've pretty much conlcuded the "!bg" function is broken.  I've
> tried running a number things using it and get at most an
> intermittant 20% success rate.  And I'm talking simple stuff here;
> don't get me started on the complex scripts with device contention
> issues.

I use ``!bg'' every time I connect to cat an audio file into a remote
/dev/audio so that I know when the connection is up.  It works 100%
of the time - it also plays another sound from ppp.linkdown.

Can you supply any evidence of the failure ?

The only thing that people may not be aware of here is that executing
a command from a configuration file will redirect I/O to /dev/null
whereas executing a command from a ppp prompt will connect stdio to
your command prompt.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;