Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:37:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        darkmatrix195@hotmail.com (dark matrix)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CHECKSUM.MD5

> What is the function of the CHECKSUM.MD5 file on your freebsd server in the
> directory of your ISO images and do I need to use it?

It is just an additional integrity check you can make after you ftp
things to your machine.

When the ISOs are made they run an md5 checksum on them and then
record the numbers in that file.   When you finish ftping the ISO or
other file, you can run an md5 on it and compare to the number in
the CHECKSUM.MD5 file to help make sure they arrived clean.

////jerry