Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2014 08:27:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changes to base system DNS

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, Robert Huff wrote:

>    I have a system which is getting upgraded to CURRENT.today. Among the
> applicable changes in
> src/UPDATING is the removal of BIND from the base system and the installation
> of unbound.
>    While I understand the logic behind this, this box needs to continue to
> run named.  Is there
> a place with a concise and coherent explanation of the options? I've read
> DES's page in the wiki,
> but that doesn't really address my case.

>From dim memory of a couple of weeks ago...

Back up /etc/namedb, including ownership and permissions.
Install dns/bind99 after updating the OS.  REPLACE_BASE must be off.
Move /etc/namedb (actually /var/named/etc/namedb) to /usr/local/etc/namedb.
Edit /usr/local/etc/namedb/named.conf, changing /etc to /usr/local/etc.
Add namedb_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.
# service named start
After testing, remove /var/named, the old chroot directory.