Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 14:36:47 -0700
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Security update howto?

I've got an install of FreeBSD 4.5 running along quite nicely and I'm
subscribed to the security mailing list.  Every once in a while I get a
security notice that recommends "Upgrade your vulnerable system to
4.5-STABLE or the RELENG_4_4 or RELENG_4_5 security branch dated after the
respective correction dates."

I've looked around for more info on this, and I'm still a bit confused.
What is the best way to stay on top of security updates on FreeBSD?  I just
want a no-hassle update to stay on top of this stuff.  Am I supposed to use
CVS to download new source and rebuild from that?  I've used CVS to update
my /usr/ports directory with no problem.  Is there a  way to do a binary
update for security purposes only?

Where do I go for clear-cut information on this process?

Thanks.

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA