Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 21:19:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        Yifeng Xu <websoft@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf and MINCLSIZE

  MINCLSIZE is set to MHLEN+1 by default.

  If you're running -CURRENT, checkout the mbuf(9) man page ('man 9 mbuf')
  which pretty much explains it.

  You shouldn't be increasing MINCLSIZE.

  You shouldn't really be lowering MINCLSIZE unless you want to promote the
  allocation of clusters. Strictly speaking, you're not likely to observe
  any noticable difference in performance in the general case.

  MINCLSIZE is defined in /sys/sys/mbuf.h and changing it would require a
  kernel rebuild but if you didn't know that, you probably shouldn't be
  changing it. :-)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Yifeng Xu wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have read Richard Stevens's "TCP/IP Illustrated
> Volumn 3", and he suggested us to set macro MINCLSIZE
> to 101 for most BSD server serving HTTP service.
>
>   can it be changed in FreeBSD and get same benifit as
> he said?
>
>   Regards,
> XuYifeng

  Later,