Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 21:30:11 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        gnut@cki.ipri.kiev.ua
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: S3 VIRGE troubles

> Hello!
>
>   So happened I manage several computers with FreeBSD installed on them.
> Among them one has S3 VIRGE based videocard, and one has S3 VIRGE DX
> based videocard. Both these computers work perfect except that during
> X session logout they may hang. It happens only during logouts.
> And these crashes/lockups look like green vertical lines on a monitor.
> And 'reset' button is the only way out.
>
>   I'm asking if anyone experienced this problem and how did they cope
> it?
>
>   Please help me.
>
> P.S. This 'feature' never happened on another S3-8* simple freebsd box
> and this feature was experienced on freebsd 2.2.2. and 2.2.6.
> May be I sPPS Is there any hardware-specific mailing lists on freebsd.org?

I am having the exact same problem.  I have an STB card with the S3
VIRGE chipset.  When the X server tries to leave graphics mode, the
machine hangs and vertical stripes appear.  The machine is dead at that
point; Control-alt-backspace does nothing and it won't respond to ping.
I use a separate X terminal, so I am not that hindered by this; it only
happens at the end of a session.  It would be a show stopper it I didn't
have a separate X terminal.

Have you found out anything?  The XFree86 site had nothing on this.
Other than this one problem the X server works great.  I what did you
learn in trying the SVGA server?

> PPS Is there any hardware-specific mailing lists on freebsd.org?

Send a message to majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG with the word 'lists' in the
body.  The list server will respond with the names of all of the
FreeBSD.ORG mailing lists.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.