Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:17:16 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Simon Walton <simonw@lucent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Subject:   Re: Modem on laptop...

> Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:55:42 -0700
> From: Simon Walton <simonw@lucent.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > THANKS! This is (or will be, once I get it down-loaded and installed)
> > great!
>
>    You might want to make sure it works before you say that!

Indeed. :-(

It built fine as did linuxthreads. (I DO have full sources on my
laptop.) But, when I tried loading it (the kld), I got the following:
mwave0: <mwave> on isa0
Mwave Modem, UART settings IRQ 0x3   IO 0x2f8
tp3780::EnableDSP, pSettings->bDSPEnabled 0 failed
Mwave Modem, ERROR cannot Enable DSP error 5
device_probe_and_attach: mwave0 attach returned 5

Both IRQ10 and IRQ3 are unused.

Do I need to configure something in BIOS with ps2? (I know I did to
get the serial port to work.)

> > Are you considering putting it into a port? If not, I think I'd like
> > to do so (still in my copious free time). Do you see any problem with
> > making it a port?
> >
> > Whether the mWave code could be included in the base system, I can't
> > say, but it's of sufficiently limited interest that it's probably
> > better placed in the ports tree, anyhow.
>
>    The IBM guys seem agreeable to releasing a combined source. It
> would be pretty easy to make the daemon compile under both OSes,
> but the kernel driver would probably have to be separate. I intend
> to attempt this at some point.
>
>    On the other hand, I'm not going to discourage you if you
> want to make it a port. One problem might be that it has a dependency
> on linuxthreads, and the port for linuxthreads assumes the full OS
> source
> is installed (not just the kernel). On a laptop it's unlikely
> you'll have a full OS source.
>
>    Also I'm going to do a bit more work on the driver, so if you
> do attempt a port stay in touch to make sure you're up to date.

The port should be pretty straight-forward aside from the linuxthreads
issue. I can force the makefile to require the package already be there
if the source tree is not populated, I guess.

But I'll have to give it some thought, assuming I get it working at
all.

Thanks for any clues on what is wrong. I will start looking at the
sources shortly, but it will likely be very slow going, especially if
there is a BIOS issue.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)