Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:30:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail brings up PPP link

Hallo all!

Well, I have three FreeBSD boxes here. They are all connected to my local
Ethernet. One of the boxes has a PPP modem connection that automatically
connects if the need arises (ppp -auto -nat).

Now, whenever the PPP link is not established and I turn on one of the
other boxes, the boot process on these boxes hangs at the point where
sendmail gets started. Then the modem-box establishes its PPP connection
and the boot process finishes.

The problem: I don't want my PPP connection to be established whenever I
turn on or reboot one of my computers. So I wonder how I can change this
behavior. Obviously, it's sendmail that brings up the connection,
presumably because it does a DNS lookup or something like that, but I'm
not exactly sure.

So, does anyone have a clue why my sendmail always brings up the PPP
connection when it's started, and what I could do to change that?

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org