Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2016 15:58:55 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

--iq8WEBFpXQb6HaxG6K4fHmtNphtUL7VH9
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org

--MrkrSUsUsuhNdPEHTeoJ2UsXgfbEK2Wwm

On 2016/03/10 14:52, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> I.e. all DBMS will be lost data on OS switch, ntp lost information,
> information about installing and removing non-system packages also
> lost and packages too (i.e. I can't install MySQL and time later
> switch back to previos OS version w/o lost of data and installed packag=
es).

If you're going to install an RDBMS application then it would be
expected that you'ld prepare a special (and probably specially tuned)
ZFS for the data storage area before you created any databases.
Unfortunately, neither the default location for mysql (/var/db/mysql)
nor postgres (/usr/local/pgsql) makes that particularly trivial --
you'ld have to use two 'canmount=3Doff' ZFSes apiece to do the overlay
trick, or else you'ld have to reconfigure the databases to put their
data areas in a more easy-to-use place.

It's not really surprising though -- hier(7) has roots going back to the
days when there was a pretty much one-to-one relation between hard
drives and file systems (and those HDDs contained of the order of 100s
of MB and cost an absolute fortune), and the big deal was to be able to
cope in the face of distressingly frequent hard drive failures.

The whole concept of 'this bit of the filesystem is intrinsic to the
particular OS version' and 'this other bit is generic data or needs to
be consistent across different OS versions' is a new requirement that
has come in with the advent of Boot Environments.  If you were designing
the filesystem layout from scratch with boot environments and ZFS in
mind, you'ld arrange things pretty differently I'm sure.

	Cheers,

	Matthew