Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:58:48 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARP bug (was Re: Help!!! Severe PPP problems)

> >Great, now update to -stable now and the remaining problems willl go
> >away, and you will also be heading off some problems you haven't yet
> >seen.
> >
> >You are now seeing the infamous 'arp' bug, which is fixed in all
> >newer versions of FreeBSD after 2.1R.  Get the stable bits (or at least
> >a newer copy of /sys/netinet/in_rmx.c) and life will be good.
>

> THANKS!!!  Ok - how do I get to stable from 2.1 release? My 2.1
> release system has a 'dedicated' connection to the internet. Should I
> just grab the /sys/netinit/in_rmx.c code (from where?) and remake the kernel?

That's the easiest short-term solution.  Look around
'http://www.FreeBSD.org'.

> Is there a clean way to upgrade to 2.1-stable? I've never done
> upgrades (just fresh installs).

Use sup or CTM to upgrade the sources in /usr/src, and then shutdown to
single-user mode and run a 'make world'.  Then, make sure the files in
your local /etc directory contain the new changes (you'll need to merge
them in by hand).

Nate