Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2019 16:08:32 -0700
From:      Dennis Glatting <freebsd@pki2.com>
To:        Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Verry serious problem with ZFS & 12.0

On Thu, 2019-08-29 at 00:45 +0200, Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi
>
> After update 4 servers from 11.2 to 12.0 without any problem, wait few
> weeks to see if everything work well, and it did. I just upgrade my
> mail
> server.

I am running 12.0 on a Supermicro with two 6-core E5-2620 processors,
192G of RAM with two RAIDz2 pools *but not* ZFS root, which is hardware
RAID1. One volume has 250G of NVMe cache and the other 480G of SSD
cache. Both volumes have SLOG. The only problem I've experienced is
boot: it forgets the boot volume during the boot process. I fixed that
problem in loader.conf with:

vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/gpt/disk0"

I have another Supermicro with 128G RAM, AMD processors (16x2) but
running 11.3 because I'm too lazy to shut everything down just to
upgrade the NAS. The NAS has two ZFS volumes and also uses hardware
RAID1 for root. The NAS is also my back-up server using dump and ZFS
send from other systems, including ZFS systems.

The slowdowns that I experience under 12.0 is when I have a lot of
network activity and running three videos (it's my primary workstation).
The disk arrays are responsive. The 12.0 system sees heavy use but not
very heavy use, which includes several rsync/etc operations under cron
(including rsync a Debian archive) and a network gateway/router.

On different hardware and under FreeBSD 9.0, I had a lot of problems
with crap disks that I did not have under 8.x, and so I downgraded. I
didn't have a problem under 10.0.

I believe in keeping my BIOS/firmware updated on an annual cycle but
firmware can be tricky. It turns out that a lot of bugs can get fixed
that don't make their way into release notes; and new ones introduced.