Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:19:48 +0300
From:      jadream <jadream@chat.ru>
To:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: max files per process and system?

Drew Derbyshire wrote:

> What's the max files (TCP connections) one can configure per
> (non-root) user and per system?
>
> I'm not looking for the defaults, I'm looking for the upper limits.
>
> Does it require a kernel rebuilt?

Yes. That needs kernel recompiled.
In reality max socket connections (tcp or unix no matter) per process
and per system are usually the same number and depend on maxusers
variable in the kernel configuration.
Hence you change that value from default 32 to some upper figure being a

2^n value and run consequently:
 config YOUR_KERNEL_NAME in /sys/i386/conf directory

and

 make depend; make; make install - in appropriate compile directory
usually mentioned in configuration utility output.

If  I'm not wrong approx. meanings are the following:

32 users    40?? sockets
64 users    82?? sockets
etc

Good luck :0)