Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:53:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Gentry <freebsd@hexdump.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should I be concerned?

Hi there ...

I noticed this in my /var/log/messages yesterday:
Jul 23 13:03:24 hellfire /kernel: pid 279 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 10
(core dumped)

Specifically, a sh w/ uid 0 core dumping didn't sit well with me.

I can't find anything in the various other logs that is at all
"funny" within a few minutes of that - which is not at all out of the
ordinary as there isn't much traffic on this machine.

Signal 10 is a bus error, right?

Are there any exploits out there currently which would generate a SIGBUS
like that?  Or would this be indiciative of failing hardware somehwere?

Thanks,
Jeff