Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 1996 19:09:48 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Installation: still not perfect

>     3Com 3C585C).  It also sported a sticker proclaiming "Designed for
>     Microsoft Windows 95%", which I found convenient to put on my
>     waste paper basket.

God, what a market opportunity.  Windows95 stickers for trash cans.  I
like it.  Maybe you could even put "Internet Ready" somewhere on the
sticker and go for full coverage.

>     support.  If this is the case, it would be nice (a) for the driver
>     to notice the fact and not pretend that everything's working, and
>     (b) to have a boot diskette which does support notebooks.

That's called the PAO floppy and something the BSD Nomads currently
provide.  Ask Nate about the status of this support in -current; I
know he's been liasing with the Nomads.  This was also described
somewhere in one of our HTML pages but darned if I can find it now.
This would be a good one for the FAQ if that document weren't dead.

> 4.  So, I thought, let's try using lp0 as the interface.  Doesn't
>     work: it looks as if the setup scripts aren't expecting a
>     point-to-point connection, and they don't specify the address of
>     the other end of the link, so ifconfig fails.  Is there a trick
>     here?

It's in the "extra args to ifconfig" area and if you'd RTFM'd (hit F1 or ?)
you'd have seen:

	The ``Extra options to ifconfig'' is kind of special (read: a hack :-).

	You can use it for specifying the foreign side of a PLIP or SLIP line
	(simply type the foreign address in) as well as selecting a given
	"link" on an ethernet card that has more than one (e.g. AUI, 10BT,

>     it shows that it succeeded in mounting the disks (I tried both
>     MS-DOG and ufs formats) on /dist, and then went looking for
>     /dist/bin/bin.tgz and /dist/bin/bin.inf, which it didn't find.

It needs either one, not both.  This is all described now in the
ABOUT.TXT file which you will find in the 2.1.6 release.  I saw the
need for describing the distribution layout, so I did.

>     There's nothing in any documentation I know about which even
>     mentions these files.

See above. :-)

					Jordan