Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:00:46 +0200
From:      David Partain <David.Partain@ericsson.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing 3.3 on HP Vectra XU 5/90

Hi,

I was recently given some of said machines that were declared
useless by the powers that be, which I thought was way cool
since I'd just install FreeBSD on them and their lives would
thus be prolonged.  Unfortunately, that seems not to be
trivial.  Firstly, the machine has no CD on it, so it's going to
be an ftp installation through our ftp proxy (a story in
itself).  But, I've done that before, so I didn't think that
would be a problem.

Unfortunately, the kernel booted from floppy doesn't seem to be
able to find the ethernet interface.  I can't get out!  The
ethernet interface (which is a PCI integrated ethernet
interface) doesn't seem to be recognized by the floppy-based
kernel.  Is there any reasonable way around this, or am I outta
luck?  I could always try to put something else (*BSD, RH Linux)
on it, but I'd rather use FreeBSD.

Any help would be appreciated.

With kind regards,

--
David Partain                  David.Partain@ericsson.com
Ericsson Radio Systems AB      Tel: +46 13 28 41 44