Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 13:35:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        pokora@execpc.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS-DOS

> I only have one disk, currently as MS-DOS. The install instruction indicate
> I can use a utility called FIPS to take part of the dos partition and create
> a FreeBSD partition. Questions:
>
> Can the FreeBSD partition be resized later without haveing to reinstall
> FreeBSD or losing any applications or files?

Ick.  Yes and no.  Yes, it's possible, no, no one has written something
that could do it.  The structure of the FS makes this a difficult
problem.

> Can Free BSD be removed and the partition be given back to dos later if I
> move FreeBSD to another hard drive?(I need to purchase a drive, but I worul
> like to test FreeBSD on what I currently have before investing in another
> hard drive).

Yes.  You would remove the BSD partition with FIPS and resize the partition.

This will *only* work on a partition you shrank in the first place; if
you create the DOS partition small, it is likely its cluster size will
be too small to allow you to increasy its size sufficiently later.

> Can FreeBSD be moved to another drive later without reinstalling or ? i.e.
> without alot of work?

Depends on what you mean by "a lot of work".  It can be done in a short
time if you know exactly what you are doing before you attempt it; if
you *will* know this by the time you do the move, then it won't be a
problem; otherwise, you will probably have to get someone to walk you
through (not me, though).

> There are two options for installing it, per the instructions, to install as
> a USER or DEVELOPER. Can it be later installed as a developer without losing
> any files or work?

Installed? No.  Added to?  Yes.  Using the package system.

One problem with the typical "USER" install is that "/" tends to be
created rather small.  You will have to take this into account during
the install, or you will have to backup/restore later.

> I read in the newgroup about a product called 'booteasy'. This sound like I
> can have an option on startup to either start a DOS session or start FreeBSD,
> is this correct?

Yes.  It replaces the DOS Master Boot Record (MBR) and give you a menu,
one item per bootable partition on the drive.

> Is booteasy included with FreeBSD?

Yes.  It is also on the ftp.cdrom.com site as a DOS installable package.

> How can I get a complete set of the FAQ's, Handbook, Install and Relnotes?

FTP or WWW to ftp.freebsd..org/www.freebsd.org.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---