Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 02:37:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Paul Schenkeveld <fb-hackers@psconsult.nl>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Just a wild idea

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Juli Mallett wrote:
> Maybe just replace all suser(9) uses with MAC credential checks, and
> install MAC_UNIX by default, which would be set up to behave like
> ye olden UNIX...  Who knows.

Something like that sounds like a really good idea.  I'd like to see this
not only for binding to low ports but also, for example, to set the system
time -- this would let you run ntpd as non-root.

It'd be interesting to have a system one day where once you've gone past
single user mode, root drops all its privs and acts just like a normal
user account and daemon accounts only have special privs handed out to
them in little chunks.