Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 96 08:42:29 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - BCSC Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
Cc:        Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@tioga.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CA-95:14

> On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Thomas J Balfe wrote:
>
> > Does 2.1R have the RFC 1408 or RFC 1572 telnetd_environment_vulnerability
> > bug worked out of it, or do I have to apply a patch? Are there any other
> > things that I should apply to 2.1R? Thanks.
> > Thomas J Balfe
>
> As far as I can tell (strings /usr/bin/telnet | grep -i LD), it doesn't
> appear to be present.

Actually, if you strings /usr/libexec/telnetd | grep LD and it doesn't appear to
be present you have the problem.  Another test would be to perform the
following:

telnet
telnet> environ define LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/foobar
telnet> environ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
telnet> open localhost

..... log in .....

$ printenv | grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH or echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

If LD_LIBRARY_PATH is /foobar or if you get a loader message indicating it
cannot find /foobar you have the problem.

As far as I could tell in January when I got my 2.1R CDROM, FreeBSD does not
have the problem.  2.0.5R, however, does.

Cy Schubert                    OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
Open Systems Support          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
BC Systems Corp.            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       cschuber@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."