Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 00:27:06 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> types:
> At 07:35 PM 11/1/2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> >#1) It has as yet to be established that the ADA applies to commercial
> >    web sites.
> It applies to all "public accommodations."

The ADA actually applies to "physical places of public
accomodation". In Hooks vs. OKBridge, the US District Court for the
Western District of Texas ruled that the ADA doesn't apply to a web
site because a web site isn't a "physical place". On appeal, the Fifth
Circuit ducked the issue by ruling that OKBridge hadn't violated the
ADA for reason unrelated to whether or not the ADA applied to the web
site. Details at <URL: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/aprsep00.htm >.

If someone knows of a ruling that establishes that the ADA applies to
commercial web sites, I'd appreciate a reference.

> >#2) MSIE has a whole slew of accessibility options.
> Doesn't matter. You can't require a disabled person to have a
> particular kind of car, or a wheelchair rather than a walker,
> etc.

If you require everyone to use IE whether disabled or not, you're
clearly not discriminating against the disabled if IE can accomodate
them.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.