Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 1996 08:21:53 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        core@freebsd.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, tech@cdrom.com
Subject:   more about net troubles

   I just spoke with a CRL tech about the network problems that we (and
others) have been having during the past few days. It turns out that there was
a gas explosion in the Wintel building (which contains the CIX router as well
as routers for Agis/Net99, Sprint, Netcom, and several other major providers).
It killed the power for about 9 hours last Thursday. The UPS's ran out of power
eventually and when the power came back on, several of the core routers were
damaged and didn't come back up right - they apparantly overheated due to
lack of air conditioning and/or were damaged by the power spike(s). If that
weren't enough, attempts to route around the problem by most of those affected
have really hosed things up. The status at the moment is that the Agis/Net99
and Netcom routers are still down and Sprint traffic between certain routers
at Stockton seems to end up going through Fort Worth and Kansas City (if I
read the traceroute correctly) just to get across the room.
   Sigh.

-DG

David Greenman