Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 00:52:34 -0400
From:      Jon Earle <jearle@kronos.honk.org>
To:        Alan Edmonds <alan.edmonds@sterling.com>
Cc:        dozprompt@onsea.com, ru@ucb.crimea.ua, bright@wintelcom.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fixed! (was: Help - Lost kernel!)

Hello,

Thank you for the advice.  I downloaded the new bootdisks and fixit disk,
and was able to recover the system using this method.  One more for the
memory banks.  One thing that got me for a short while, was that the disk
systems need to be fscked prior to mounting, or else they will fail to mount.

Cheers!
Jon

At 11:03 PM 04/05/00, you wrote:
>You should be able to boot a CD or fixit.  Mount the
>"real" root fs as /mnt and the "real" /usr as /mnt/usr.
>Then copy /mnt/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNELNAME/kernel to /mnt.
>I imagine you could boot any version of FreeBSD that
>can understand your disk controller and fs type.

---
Jon Earle

"You can never burn out as long as you're doing what you enjoy.  When it
stops being fun, then you burn out.  And I'm still having fun."

"...plot proceeds from character...it's from defining who the character is,
what he wants, how far he's willing to go to get it, and how far someone
else will go to stop him.  From that comes all the rest."

                      -- J. Michael Straczynski, creator Babylon 5